Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Ibihumbi babiri cumi natanu (2015)

New Years celebrations are obvious markers of change. The ending of one season (or a cluster of many seasons) and the beginning of another. And I think every person who celebrates spends some time reflecting on the last year. And so, I have done some reflecting of my own. 
2014 was a year of surprises that began with me freezing in Michigan. I was happy to be home with 
my family and friends, but I was cold, missing Rwanda and held a mostly pessimistic view of what the next six months would look like. But soon, Jesus brought a job (a job I had before and loved!), fundraising opportunities and many opportunities to reconnect with friends and family. He blew me away! 

While I was home, I hosted a dinner. I made food from my beloved Rwanda - rice, beans, boiled potatoes, chapatti, mandazi, milk tea and chicken kebabs (ok, thats not so Rwandese, but whatever). I prepared photos to share about the year I had spent in East Africa - South Sudan, Uganda, Burundi and mostly Rwanda. I prepared to share my vision of what’s next. As people RSVP’d, I was in awe. It started slow, but before I knew it, over 70 people were coming. Including 10 from a church that I had only visited once! People came, they ate, they listened, and they gave! Some gave one time gifts, others committed to be a monthly supporter. Seriously, when I got home and counted what Jesus gave me - I cried! I was in awe of my Daddy! But most of all, they all joined me in prayer and encouragement. 

In June, it was time to come home to Rwanda. Even though my original plans had changed, even though people told me I was too young to move to Africa long term and even though people thought I was making the wrong choice - I went. I began work with APRECOM and it was amazing. I fell in love with the ministry and the women we work with. 

In the past six months, I have been able to sit, cry, and pray with my Rwandese sisters. I have been able to speak truth and life to women that are hurting. I have been able to work with teenagers on an outreach. I have been able to see lives changed! 

And on a personal note, I have seen my own life changed. I’ve learned kinyarwanda. Ok, by no means am I fluent, or even close. But I can argue with a moto driver about the price, I can buy things at the market. And, I can understand maybe like 20% of what’s being said. You know, as long as they speak slowly and only one person at a time. To me, that's pretty huge! In the past six months, I’ve come closer to Jesus and seen that He really is by my side in everything. When people who have become family moved on to other things or other countries, I felt alone. But my Daddy scooped me up and showed me that I wasn’t alone. He spoke to me, great amazing things that I never thought could happen. It seemed to good to be true. And now, those things are happening. Jesus is so cool. He has a way of bringing the right people, just at the right time. 

I ended this year a different person than last year. I’m still a giant mess - full of failure’s and plans and “I meant to’s”. But I ended 2014 as a person who knows her Daddy better than before. And sometimes, thats all that matters. 

So now that it’s 2015, maybe you’re wondering what I have planned. Ok, maybe you really don’t care, but I’m going to tell you anyways! So, allow me to break it down for you. 

1. I am still in Rwanda, plan to stay in Rwanda for a while. 
2. I am continuing work with APRECOM. Only now, we are working to improve our ministry. Focusing on a new community in the Eastern province but also working to improve our relationships with existing clients in the Kigali area. 

3. SCHOOL! Yup, you read that right. This girl, who hate’s school, has applied to go to school. A few years ago, I heard that YWAM had a medical school of some sort. Attending said school has kind of been in the back of my mind since. Well, sometime last year, it began to really stick in my brain. So, after praying, seeking and finally stopped talking myself out of it - I applied for Introduction to Primary Health Care (IPHC) in Worcester, South Africa. I am so excited for this school! It will be about 5 months, from 27 June to 05 December with both a lecture and outreach phase. So, this school will cover basic health care - both the practical, hands on, need to know info and health care in missions. The second part is an outreach - a time of applying what was learned. While, I am so excited to go back to South Africa (where my love for Africa began!) and to do this school. I’m also a bit freaked out. It’s school, I hated school. And it’s technical, like with math in science, and stuff  - I hated math and science. But, Jesus is good, even in math and science. So, now I await my acceptance! Also, if you want to help out with my school fee’s and airfare to South Africa, you can donate using the button to the right! 


I am so excited for all that 2015 holds! I’m sure it will it’s own special challenges, rewards, it’s own chaos, it’s own peace and it’s own surprises! 
Here’s to a new year to serve Jesus! 

3 comments:

  1. An amazing article by an amaxing woman of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna, I just love the way you write! I can FEEL it! :) I'm so happy for all that God did for you and through you in 2014, but I'm excited to see what 2015 has in store. May God continue to bless & use you as you trust Him to lead you. Continue to be courageous! Happy new year! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete