Friday, March 13, 2015

This is my week.

The last days, I have been on a roller coaster. But the past month, has been like a smaller, slightly less intense, gradual roller coaster. So first, you need some basic info.

For about a month now, I have been totally and completely exhausted. I feel sick off and on. I am super busy. That business is because I work and live both in Kigali and in a village. Half the time I am here, half the time there. So, most weekends I am working or traveling. I am preparing to go to South Africa for six months for a school and I have some responsibilities here on base - one of which is to be sort of a mentor to two great girls. 
Now, the craziness of the past few days all has to do with a visa. The word alone could make me run away screaming. I needed to apply for a study visa for South Africa. Here is the story of my attempt. 

So, applying for a study visa seemed simple. Get papers, flights, insurance and making sure everything in order - simple, right? Nope. I wanted to apply asap so that I would have my visa in time. With only about 3 months remaining, there was no time to spare. 
However, my plans sort of hit a wall on Tuesday night. During a causal conversation about my plan of attack on my visa, I heard these words “Oh, the South African embassy in Kigali closed. You have to apply in Kampala”. (In case you don’t know, Kampala is in Uganda, and about a 10 hour bus trip from Kigali.). Hearing these words were enough to make me want to cry.

The next day, I did some investigating, just to be sure. And it was confirmed, in order to apply for my visa, I would need to take that 10 hour bus trip to Uganda, and then it would take 8 weeks for my visa to be processed, then - once processed, I would have to take the same 10 hour bus trip to pick it up. While this was so not ideal, I went forward. I spent my day frantically getting everything together, making plans, putting everything else in life on hold until this was taken care of. 

However, my plans soon hit another wall. A dear friend of mine asked me a question that sent me onto another roller coaster - “Won’t you have to leave your visa in Uganda to apply”. This question, though I’m glad she asked, made me stress even more. If I had to leave my passport in Uganda, I wouldn’t be able to cross the boarder back into Rwanda. I do not want to stay in Uganda for 8 weeks. So, the next morning, I called the embassy in Kampala to find the answer to this question. The answer caused my heart to sink and the tears to flow. 

Yes, I would have to leave my passport. After further questioning, I found out that actually, I can’t even apply in Uganda (because I don’t have a resident visa). So where would I apply? Good ole U.S. of A. Not that I am against a visit home, but this news caused the tears to flow like Niagra Falls. I began to think if it was possible to go to the U.S. at this point - $1500+ for flights, $100 to apply for the visa, 10 days for it to be processed, and cost of going to Chicago and back to apply and pick it up = not seeming like it’s possible. So I cried. And cried. And got angry. And questioned God - I felt so sure that this is what I should do. 

Once I felt composed, I came into my office with my co-workers. They asked what I found out. And then, the tears came back. (I’m honestly not that much of a crier, but I am exhausted and therefore, have emotions like a 13 year old girl). After a hug, some words of encouragement and some prayer, I was feeling better. Still, completely disappointed, confused, annoyed but yet felt some hope. Maybe it would be ok to stay in Rwanda.

So, I began to change my plans. I cancelled my flights (which thankfully, I had booked less than 24 hours prior, so I got the full refund), I contacted my family and the school in South Africa. I talked to a few more people, informing them of my rough morning. They offered suggestions of what to do, words of condolences and words of encouragement. What happened next is something that only Jesus could do. 

My Daddy showed off his love for me. I got an email from my school telling me that I could simply come on a tourist visa,good for three months - as long as we left S.A. for outreach. So that was it, I’m still going to South Africa! 

These days have been totally crazy. Yesterday alone, I was in about 57 different moods, all before noon! And, my Daddys goodness didn’t end there. Throughout the day, people were speaking words of encouragement - all on the same topic. Two people shared the same verse with me (Isaiah 43:10, go read it. Actually, read the whole chapter). Someone told me she woke up in the middle of the night and prayed for me. Her middle of the night would have been my morning - about the time I was crying like a baby. Over and over, I felt my Father whispering sweet words in my ear. 
“ I love you. I have good plans for you. Don’t worry, I am in control! In every twist and turn, in every joy and disappoint - I am there and I never change. Come to me, always run to me.”

So friends, let me tell you this - God is good. So good that there are no words to fully explain it. He is constant. He is faithful. He is love


ALSO...I need your help to get to South Africa! If you would like to help with my school fee's or travel expenses, go to gofundme.com/joanna-iphc. Thanks! 

2 comments: