Tuesday, May 20, 2014

College Drop out

It was around this time 5 years ago that I graduated high school. I remember feeling like I had finally arrived. Like I was finally an adult. I graduated with great plans of going to culinary school and opening a cafe & bakery. My future plans were made up of the American dream: to be successful, not necessarily rich but definitely not lacking. I assumed that at some point in my college career, I would meet a handsome man and that after a fairy tale romance, we would be married and have 2 children. My life would be perfect.

Five years later - things are crazy different. I still don't feel like an adult, unless I am paying bills or dealing with car issues. I did the culinary school thing for a while, but then I quit. Yup, that's right...I dropped out of college - community college. In terms of money, I am anything but rich and most of the time, I am in fact lacking. No prince charming came along and there was no fairy tale. And s far as living the American dream...not happening.  But I love my life.

I don't have money. I am single. I do not have a college degree. I don't have some high paying job. I currently live with my parents. BUT...I have traveled! South Africa, Rwanda, Uganda, South Sudan, Burundi and even to Paris on adventure during a layover. I have seen the Lord do miracles in each of those nations. A 3 year old girl, who was paralyzed from birth, walked! A women who had been possessed for 5+ years was delivered! Countless people encountered Jesus! Lives were changed! I am getting ready to move, not just visit - move, to Africa. And none of this is to my own credit...at all! I never wanted to go to Africa. I never wanted to live outside of the US. I never wanted to be a missionary. I never wanted that life. For so long, it was my dream to cook for a career, have a happy little family, to be a "good christian" and stay within my comfort zone. But thanks to Jesus - none of that happened.

So as I look back to where I was five years ago, it makes me laugh. I thought I had it all together. Ha! The last five years have been amazing, hard, disappointing, surprising and challenging all at once. And I am so thankful for them. I look back at the others I  graduated with (all 12 of them. Homeschool graduation right there!) and see where they are now. Several are married or engaged, some have kids. Some have finished college and are now working in their dream field. But I do not envy them.

Though my life is not typical - I love it. So what if I dropped out of college and have had nothing but low paying jobs. I choose travel, zipping around on a motor bike, learning a new language and culture. Teaching and preaching about Jesus and caring for the orphan and widow. Pooping in the ground, taking bucket showers, being dirty and smelly. That is a small glimpse of my life that I love. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1 comment:

  1. Joanna, that is one of THE best short auto-biographies I have ever read! I'm so excited to read about all of the experiences you get to add to it within the next few years. :) You epitomize the term, "Go with God." <3

    ReplyDelete