Sunday, October 26, 2014

My life.


Let me start with this: I love my life. I love Rwanda with all my heart. Actually, if I ever had to leave, for any time longer than like 1 month, I’m fairly certain my heart would break in two. I love, absolutely love, the ministry that I am a part of. I love that I am a part of this ministry, not just an observer. And the things that we’ve prayed over and planned for next year? Oh man, it makes me giggle with excitement. Like a little girl on Christmas morning. How can I not be in love with the life that Jesus gave me? I am living in Africa, with my dream job, and, the best part, I get to see lives changed because of Jesus!

And the crazy thing is that while I am seeing others lives transformed, my life is changing and taking a new shape. When I first came to Rwanda, almost two years ago, I was so different. I was shy, scared, reserved. I wouldn’t pray out loud, I wouldn’t sing to loud in worship, I wouldn’t speak up in a group setting. I wouldn’t confront anyone, about anything! I wouldn’t go into the city alone, let alone find my way around. My view of missions was twisted. I knew no Kinyrwanda, and thought that I never would. The idea of eating rice everyday, twice a day almost made me cry. Never having a hot shower, from a real shower head, seemed like a death sentence. And riding a moto - oh man, I swore it’d never happen.  When I look back at the Joanna in January 2013 compared to today’s Joanna- it’s crazy different. To save time, look back at the list, think of the opposite. Thats me now. I’m still growing in many, ok, most of those areas. But the difference is amazing. 

I think since about June 2010, when I first came to Africa, I have been living my life in short segments. I got home from South Africa, shared all about it, then lived my life until it was time to plan to go back. I did that in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Then, after my trip in 2012, it was time to apply for DTS. So then I lived my life just waiting until I came to Rwanda. Then, it was in another 6 month segment - my DTS. Then, I staffed a DTS, another 6 month stint. Then, I went back to MI for, you guessed it, 6 months. Finally, on 12 June 2014, I feel like I began my life in Rwanda. Not a short term trip. Not a 6 month stint. Long term. And let me tell you, when you’re somewhere for the long term instead of short term, your views change. 

Now, taking two buses, and about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, to get to church is normal. Being stared at for an entire bus ride, though incredibly annoying, is normal. I have become used to the fact that “are you married?” is an appropriate question right after “what is your name?”. I am ok with crossing the street, as long as the traffic is at least far enough away to start slowing down in order to not hit me. I have come ok with the fact that I will not have a running shower, or a washing machine. And those are just a few of the small things. I’m planning my life here. And yes, a part of that includes a strapping, handsome, Jesus loving, missionary man. And wondering where we might get married, what it would be like raising children here in Rwanda. But it also means thinking of what life will be like 5 or 10 years. I wonder where I’ll be, what I’ll be doing and how my whole life will change. I mean, the past two years - so much has changed, at it’s for the better. 
So, all this to say, it’s been a crazy ride. Since I felt called to go to South Africa 5ish years ago up until now, it’s like I’m a totally different person. Even the Joanna that first came to Rwanda January of 2013 compared to the Joanna today - it’s crazy. I am so thankful for it. 

So here’s to the life changing power of Jesus. To the love of my Daddy that can take shame, fear, embarrassment, depression and insecurity and turn it in to confidence, joy, and pure freedom. Here’s to travel - it’s a life changing experience. If you have never left your country, start saving now. Because it opens your mind, changes your view of the world. It changes your life. Here’s to those moments when I felt like I could never live in Africa. Those moments when I thought I would never make it past a year. To those moments when people told me “Oh, you’re still young. You still have time to travel and get this phase out of your system”. And here’s to my life in Rwanda. The life that, while is exhausting, frustrating and is sometimes like trying to staple water to the wall - is a life that I wouldn’t trade for the world. Here’s to missions and being exactly where I should be. 


  
And another thing I love about Rwanda:
I love that occasionally, it gets cold enough and it feels like fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment