Thursday, April 24, 2014

The one about balance.

Since my last post, I feel like so much has happened. So, please, sit back, relax, and let me update you on my life (not that it's really that exciting).

1. I hosted an Ibirori. That right there is the Kinyarwanda (language in Rwanda) for a party or celebration. I made food from east Africa: rice, beans, potatoes, cabbage, chapatti (a flat bread), mandazi (a donut like treat) and tea (both black and with milk). I was able to share about my year in Africa (and how awesome it was!) and what I am doing next. God is so good! From that night alone, Jesus provided over $1000! Woo!

2. Because of said partay, I was able to book my flight! Well, round one of flights.

3. Again, thanks to that same night, God has raised up a few more monthly supporters. Woo! (Again!)

4. The day after I booked my flight, I found out my start date changed. Not that I should have been surprised that something  in Africa changed slightly last minute, I, however, wasn't ready for it. So, God gave me two more weeks here in MI! Hooray for more time with my lovely family and for my visa to get approved, I hope. =)

5. Because of previously mentioned date change, I had to change my flight. Again, Jesus is awesome and worked that out. For only $52 more, I had my flight change to the correct dates.

6. So, now I have dates all set! Leave Detroit on June 10, arrive in Kigali, Rwanda on June 11. Have some days to visit with all my favorite YWAM family and then head to Tanzania around June 14. Then, on June 16, it's time to learn about counseling for ministry!

6. This one isn't really Africa related, but it was pretty exciting. Easter Sunday, I had the opportunity to speak at my church. Our theme was Change: from fear to freedom - that's something that I have been able to preach in Rwanda, Uganda, Sudan and Burundi, and now, in good ole 'Merica!

OK, that about catches you up on my life. Pretty exciting, huh? Well, I think so. But only because Jesus is so amazing! So with the remaining weeks winding down, I am working and praying like crazy for the final things to come together. Maybe too much work.

 See, God has blessed (no really, blessed, I'm not just using that word to sound like a better Christian) with an awesome job. If you don't already know, I work at a homeless shelter for women and children. It's a great job because it's a ministry. My co-workers are all believers and we do this for the sake of the Gospel. Showing Jesus love through meeting the physical needs of food, shelter and hope. I worked here for all of 2012 and was actually pretty sad to say goodbye when I was preparing to go to Rwanda. When I felt God leading me home for a season, I contacted my boss. Hoping for anything but expecting only a few hours a week. I was fully expecting that I would have to do the two job thing again. But, again, Jesus is awesome. Now, I work in the kitchen, on the dorm room floors (more directly with the ladies and kids) and security (including overnight security).

But even though I love my job, sometimes I don't feel like coming to work. I just want to sleep during the night, like a normal person, instead of during the day. Sometimes I don't want to talk, confront or listen to people. I'm just tired. Now, this portion of the post is called balance. And balance is the exact thing that my dear friends have been telling me about. When I decided to come home, I knew it would be a season of working a lot and being tired. But I also knew it should be a season of being my loved ones here, enjoying my time here and getting things together to head back.

However, my mind gets stuck on one of those things: work. And everything in me tells to pick up every extra shift I can. The same thing tells me that I can sleep later and that I'm supposed to be tired. However, I realized, that voice is the voice of fear. As some of my lovely friends pointed out, I have this fear that I wont have the money that I need. So out of that fear, I am willing to work so much that I am practically dead to the world. And it took them practically yelling at me (even over the world wide interwebs) for it to finally click. Jesus is good. He is faithful. He knows my need. He will provide.

After I type all of this, I can't really remember why I decided to post all of this. Maybe I just needed to type it out so I can see it, read it and get it into my head. But there it is. That's my life right now.
So, if you want to join me, I would love if you could pray with me for some things! Here's the list!
1. Sanity: I know it sounds silly, but really, I need it! Between working and getting things together, pray that I can function and make the most of my time here.
2. Visa: I have applied for a Visa for Tanzania. Pray that it is approved in a timely manner! I really do not want to be stranded in the airport.
3. Finances: To be honest, I still have a lot of need. Pray that God would raise some people up to help meet those needs.
4. Safety: During travel, once in Tanzania and in Rwanda. None of that missing plane stuff.
5. Confidence: With all the new things and changes, these next steps look a bit scary. Pray that God would remind me of who He is and would give me confidence to walk in what He's called me to.

Alright, that's it for now! Thanks for taking time to read all of this and joining me in prayer. You're the best!

Joanna


No comments:

Post a Comment